The highly-anticipated certification of ARRIRAW for the Convergent Design Gemini 4:4:4 external recorder was achieved Wednesday evening, May 2, 2012. “We are very excited to have achieved the ARRIRAW Certification. We are honored; It truly is a mark of excellence in design and engineering,” says Mike Schell, President.
ARRI’s certification process has demonstrated compatibility of its ALEXA Digital Camera with the onboard recorder Gemini 4:4:4 of Convergent Design Inc. which qualifies the company for a partnership with ARRI. Convergent Design Inc. is authorized by ARRI to use the ARRIRAW Recording Label for their recorder, so long as the compatibility of the products remains proven.
The certificate can be provided if all of the following conditions are met:
- The product can reliably record the ARRIRAW T-linkstream (2880×1620, 16:9, at standard speeds of 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 fps)
- The product can reliably record the complete set of ARRIRAW metadata embedded in the T-linkstream
- The product offers live-processed HD monitoring of the ARRIRAW stream while recording – including gamma conversion (1D LUT) compliant with “ALEXA Color Processing” provided by the ARRI LUT Generator.
- The product offers live-processed HD playback of the ARRIRAW stream including gamma conversion (1D LUT) compliant with “ALEXA Color Processing” provided by the ARRI LUT Generator.
- The product can output raw data and metadata in a format that can be processed with the ARRIRAW CONVERTER, ARC version 2 and later.
Dan Keaton, Sales and Marketing Director, marks that “Today is a very important day for Convergent Design and hopefully for our industry. Now, everyone with an ARRI ALEXA can record in the very desirable, and higher quality ARRIRAW, and do so at a very reasonable cost.”
John Schell, Head Engineer at Convergent Design has spear-headed the engineering efforts. With great excitement he adds, “It was a pleasure working with the ARRI Partners Group and the rest of the crew at ARRI. They were very helpful and responsive, making the process a smooth one. We have developed an excellent working relationship and look forward to future endeavors together.”